Self-Introduction letter

Subject: Self-Introduction


Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

I hope this letter of introduction will be worthy of your time. My name is Muhd Fadlan Amin, and I am currently pursuing my education at the Singapore Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering. I am a Year 1 student attending your critical thinking and communications module.

 

Before attending SIT, I graduated in 2022 with a German Technical Engineer Diploma (TED) in Machine Technology, in collaboration with the university of Gottlieb-Daimler-Schule 1 held in ITE College Central. Compared to other Diploma courses, TED follows the German standard in education and culture, from our lecturers going to Germany for courses, down to our distinct uniforms.

 

To answer the questions why the interest in engineering? And why choose engineering? It’s based on two things, following in my father's footsteps and Lego. As a child, I looked up to my father and wanted to emulate him and as I got to know him and his past, I learned that he himself took up mechanical engineering as a path in education, which gave birth to my interest to explore the engineering world. I chose engineering because like Lego, it encourages the idea of producing your own creations and designs. Lego has this thrill of piecing together mere bricks into anything the human brain could imagine, to following intricate instructions to build marvels of humanity such as a working life-sized Lego car. A quote has stuck with me in how I perceive engineering to take things with a steady hand and a clear mind in how I approach problems or tasks that says, “Efficiency is just clever laziness” (Masaru Enatsu).

 

I believe my strengths in communication is the ability to converse well with a small or big group of people, whether it be for group discussions or forming bonds. As for my weaknesses I tend to be rather monotonous during presentations, lacking in enthusiasm and stumbling on my words perhaps due to being nervous.

 

Ultimately my goal in this module is to be able to confidently present and carry myself in a way that engages the audience to actively listen to every word I say and be interested in what I’m presenting. At the end of the day, failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of it. I look forward to your guidance in leading me to said success.

 

Best Regards,


Muhd Fadlan Amin

Comments

  1. Hi Fadlan, It was interesting to read your self-introduction, loved that you too had that German experience! I also really liked how your dad and LEGO were so instrumental in building your passion in engineering. I could not agree more with the quote you shared, short yet impactful and perfectly encapsulates innovation. I look forward to working with you in this module!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fadlan, I really enjoyed reading your letter and getting to know you! It was so well-written and engaging. I hadn't heard of the German Technical Engineer Diploma before, but it sounds really impressive. Your connection between your father's influence and your passion for LEGO adds a personal touch, and I can totally relate to that! Your quote included in this email is truly inspiring. I'm confident that you'll achieve your goals and become an even more confident speaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mention the personal touch. Thanks bo!

      Delete
  3. Hi Fadlan, it was intriguing to read your letter as the way you explain your interest in engineering was very engaging. It was also interesting to know that you have a German Technical Engineer Diploma as I have not heard of it before. I too share the same weakness in communication where I sound monotonous during public speaking. I hope that you will be able to achieve your goal through this module and I look forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to us both I guess. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Fadlan, reading about your education journey was interesting as you took a somewhat unconventional diploma with Gottlieb-Daimler-Schule 1. I too fell in love with engineering through Legos and though it is something of the past for me, I hope you're still playing around with Legos. Overall your letter was concrete with the examples given on why you chose engineering as well as your goals for this module and i look forward to going through this journey with you in UCS1001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that we have somewhat same journey to engineering. Thanks for commmenting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Fadlan, reading your education journey is definitely interesting as it is not the typical journey most Singaporeans go through(i think). I think a lot of people also started with Legos and the limit of imagination for building Legos is endless. Hopefully we can work together and help each other out for this module!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can work together too! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Prof! I'll make sure to remind you of the quote in class :) .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts